I am a confident and articulate Diplomat with over eight years’ experience in the public sector. My career in public service started at the Foreign & Commonwealth Service where I became the Operations Manager to lead a team of ten people assigned to process visa applications. I have since been promoted to become a Diplomat based at the British Embassy in Geneva where I am currently promoting UK trade interests across the continent.
|Jan 2012 – Present||Diplomat Foreign & Commonwealth Office- Geneva|
Main duties performed:
- Visiting different countries around the world to build friendly relationships with other governments and promoting UK interests
- Holding talks with representatives from EU member states regarding Brexit and the future of UK-EU relationships
- Being involved in negotiations and brainstorming sessions regarding increasing UK exports to Switzerland
- Conducting extensive research on potential business opportunities in Europe
- Producing reports on the ways in which British industries could be expanded
|Sept 2008 – Dec 2011||Operations Manager FCO, London|
Main duties performed:
- Managing a team of 10 civil servants in granting (or rejecting) visa extension and conversion applications
- Ensuring work is carried out in accordance with strict adherence to governmental directives regarding immigration policy
- Writing reports highlighting statistics on the number of successful and unsuccessful visa applications and job market destinations for non-UK nationals
- Trained new staff on the use of specialised software currently being used
|2003 – 2007||BSc Business, Management & Public Policy||Aston University||Grade achieved: 1:1|
- Social Problems and Public Policy A & B
- People & Organisations
- Business Policy
- Modern British Governance
|2001 – 2003|
Results: English: A Maths: B Economics: B
|A Levels||Queen’s College|
- Level 3 Certificate in Communication: Speaking in Public – LAMDA
- Attended a 4-day “Presenting Skills” workshop conducted by Body Talk (2008)
- Presentation Skills: Adept at presenting extensive as well as intensive data to various kinds of people from all backgrounds and nationalities.
- Time management skills: Skilled at juggling a multitude of tasks and completing them before their deadlines.
- Report writing skills: Confident in producing accurate and timely reports written with my audience in mind (who could be foreign nationals)
- IT skills: Formally accredited in using the entire Microsoft Office suite and having excellent working knowledge of specialised software used to process passports and visa applications.
Hobbies and interests
In my free time, I enjoy watching the news and documentaries in order to keep myself informed about current affairs and the latest developments on the international market. I also enjoy travelling, reading the Economist and socialising with my family and friends.
Mrs Anna Wilders
Senior Civil Servant, FCO (Geneva) Address:
9 Green Rd, Kent, KE8 2YQ Tel:
0744 6579 4590 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Ryan Peterson
Manager, FCO (London) Address:
17 Wild St, Enfield, E19 3QP Tel:
0793 5682 0893 Email: email@example.com
Please note: the above CV Example is presented in the UK format and layout.
Click here to download the above CV Sample (blank).
COLLECTION: You may also want to browse through our collection of Free CV Templates and download any of the editable CVs to create your own (available in Microsoft Word format and convertible to PDF).
- Travelling: It is very likely that your job as a Diplomat will involve a lot of travelling from one city or country to another in order to attend events or meeting with foreign government officials. Your CV and your Cover Letter are good places to indicate your willingness to travel, meet new people and your flexibility to work across multiple locations both nationally and internationally.
£25.000 – £45.000
Degree or Work Experience
37+ hours per week
Ability to communicate ideas and concepts clearly and effectively to a variety of different people from all backgrounds
Using appropriate techniques to move others to action or to gain agreements
Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with others and build new relationships
Leadership skills to promote policies or implementing change
Excellent writing skills to write clear and concise reports for government workers
Having a strong foresight for the direction in which things are going