Sobhan Mohmand, Career Expert 18 Apr 2021
What is a CV personal profile?
A personal profile, also known as a CV summary, is the opening statement of your CV. It is a short introduction which outlines your personal characteristics, telling the prospective employer what kind of a person you are, the attributes and qualities that you possess and the work experience that you have.
How to write a CV profile statement from scratch
When writing your personal profile, ensure it is:
- Short (no more than 6 lines);
- Relevant to the job you are applying for, and;
- Contains some real-world examples.
Be bold, be confident and talk about yourself in a positive way.
Your personal profile is not the place to be humble; it is your chance to be noticed and tell the potential employer exactly who you ‘really’ are and what you can do for them.
Warning: Do not go ‘over the top’ and give the impression that you are either very arrogant or simply too good to be true! Keep it balanced and realistic, bearing in mind the needs of the employer.
Click here if you want to see a bad example of a personal profile.
What information to include on a personal profile
The purpose of your personal profile is to concisely present your skills, qualities, work experience, and your career goals and ambitions. Consequently, you can mention anything from the following categories when constructing your personal profile:
- Having an eye for detail
- Management skills
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Design skills
- 5 years experience in …
- Excellent track record of …
- Extensive background in …
- Previous work experience in …
An ideal statement should have at least one example for each of these three categories.
How long should my profile statement be?
There are no set rules about the length of a personal profile, however, it is highly recommended to keep it ideally within the 50/80-words boundary (no longer than six lines). The reason for this is because employers, in the first instance, tend to scan CVs rather than extensively read it. Keeping it short and to the point increases the chances that they will actually read it.
Furthermore, as the total length of a CV is only 2 A4 pages long, having a short statement frees us valuable space for other key sections of your CV such as the work experience, education and skills sections.
Winning personal profile CV examples from all job sectors
Business management CV profile
I have a clear, logical mind with a practical approach to problem-solving and a drive to see things through to completion. I have more than 2 years of experience in managing and leading teams across multiple sectors. I am eager to learn, I enjoy overcoming challenges, and I have a genuine interest in Business Management and making organisations successful.
- The candidate mentions their key personal skills and qualities that are relevant and important when managing a business.
- The candidate mentions their relevant work experience in the field, indicating that they are able to work within multiple job sectors.
IT CV profile
I am a highly competent IT professional with a proven track record in designing websites, networking and managing databases. I have strong technical skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills, enabling me to interact with a wide range of clients. I am eager to be challenged in order to grow and further improve my IT skills. My greatest passion is in life is using my technical know-how to benefit other people and organisations.
- The candidate correctly highlights their areas of expertise, such as designing websites, networking and managing databases. It is clear from these examples that the individual has a broad understanding of IT and would be able to work on a wide range of IT projects.
- The candidate reassures the prospective employer that although they are working in a very technical field, they have the ability to work with a wide range of people. Interpersonal and communication skills are key to any job.
Student CV profile
I am a hardworking and ambitious individual with a great passion for the transport and logistics industry. I am currently in my second year of studying BA Logistics and Supply Chain Management at Aston University. I have excellent communication skills, enabling me to effectively communicate with a wide range of people. I am seeing a part-time position in the industry in which I can put into practice my knowledge and experience, ultimately benefiting the operations of the organisation that I work for.
- The above personal statement is clear and informative, making it clear that the applicant is a student, currently completing their university degree, and are looking to work part-time in the industry.
- It is always a good idea, as the candidate has done in this example, to clearly mention your availability for work and also the reasons for why you are seeking work. “Making money” is not a good enough reason for an employer to give you a job. The candidate has mentioned that they wish to put into practice what they have learned and make a positive contribution to the employer.
HR CV profile
- The candidate highlights that they have previous work experience in Human Resources (HR), making them familiar with the payroll systems and employment law. Additionally, they indicate some personal qualities (such as interpersonal skills and being sensitive to people’s privacies) which would be highly beneficial for the role that they are applying for.
Manager CV profile
I am an energetic, ambitious person who has developed a mature and responsible approach to any task that I undertake, or situation that I am presented with. As a graduate with three years’ experience in management, I am excellent in working with others to achieve a certain objective on time and with excellence. In my previous role, I improved the performance, operations and productivity of my team by 35%.
- The candidate not only states that they have three years’ of experience in management but they also mention the positive contribution that they made to that organisation. In this case, it was a significant improvement in the performance of the team that they were managing.
Check out these CV examples
to see more than 100+ personal profile statements!
Sales/retail CV profile
I am a mature, positive and hardworking individual, who always strives to achieve the highest standard possible, at any given task. In my previous role as a Sales Representative, I demonstrated the ability to work under intense pressure, sell products and services to customers from all backgrounds, handle customer complaints and solve problematic situations as and when they arose. I was promoted twice for exceeding my sales targets.
- Just by looking at the profile statement of this individual, we can conclude that this person has thorough experience of sales and is able to handle the various aspects of the selling process. Additionally, their promotion indicates that they are a high achiever.
Teaching CV profile
I am a loyal, talented and caring teacher who loves making a difference in the lives of young children. I am open-minded, patient and supportive towards other people, especially towards children or those who suffer from disabilities. In my previous role as a primary school teacher, I have taught and nurtured more than 100 pupils from all backgrounds, successfully preparing them for the next stages of their young lives.
- In just a few lines, the candidate demonstrates a great deal of compassion, empathy and care for young people and their futures. This level of care and concern, along with an enduring passion for teaching, are the key ingredients of being successful in any teaching careers.
- The candidate indicating that they are able to work with young children from all backgrounds and walks of life. This is important, especially when living in today’s multicultural and diverse societies.
Engineering CV profile
I am a dedicated, hardworking and proactive Chemical Engineer with a strong background in design, plant operations, offshore operations, and process and safety improvements. I have solid work experience in designing, testing and analysing processes to increase the overall efficiency of operations. I am currently looking for an opportunity to utilise my technical skills in a challenging working environment and become a valuable asset to the organisation that I work for.
- The candidate correctly highlights their previous work experience and areas of expertise. This makes them look like a very competent and accomplished chemical engineer, increasing the chances of being invited for an interview.
Designer CV profile
I am a creative, artistic and ambitious Graphics Designer with a talent for thinking outside the box and coming up with innovative ideas and designs. I graduated with a 1st Class honours degree in Graphic Design from Kingston University and subsequently have worked in the design industry for the past 2 years. I pride myself in providing excellent service to all stakeholders and seeing the positive impact I make in people’s lives and businesses.
- This is an effective statement because the candidate highlights their valuable 1st class degree in Graphic Design and previous work experience in the design industry. Additionally, the candidate makes mention of their personal qualities, such as having the ability to think outside the box, to further indicate their suitability for the job.
Hospitality CV profile
I am an enthusiastic, hard-working and disciplined Catering Assistant with excellent track-record in working in the food industry. I am a friendly individual with a great passion for food; I enjoy socialising with people, and my exceptional customer service skills have earned me the award of “Employee of the Month” twice in a row.
- The above is an excellent example of how profile statement should be constructed; it contains references to their previous work experience in the same industry, personal qualities that are relevant to the job (e.g. having a passion for food and socialising with people) and their job achievements (e.g. winning an award). Any employer reading this statement will have to think twice before they put it in the rejection pile!
Admin CV profile
- The candidate mentions their previous work experience project management and providing administrative support to businesses.
- This admin personal statement clearly demonstrates that the individual is aware of all the challenges that administrators face; working in a busy working environment, handling multiple projects simultaneously, prioritising tasks and achieving the highest standard of work.
Customer service CV profile
I am a committed, friendly and hardworking Customer Service Advisor with a passion for providing excellent customer service at all times. In my current role, I have resolved more than 150 issues, always having the needs of the customers and the reputation of the organisation at heart. I have dealt with customers’ enquiries and complaints face-to-face, over the phone and via email. My excellent customer service and communication skills, combined with my relevant work experience, make me a real asset to any organisation that I work for.
- The candidate indicates that they are able to resolve customer enquiries and complaints face-to-face, over the phone or via email. This ability enables them to work in a variety of different job settings, i.e. a call centre, on the shop floor or at a desk.
- Their statement contains a tangible example of accomplishment (i.e. successfully resolving 150 customer enquiries or complaints).
Media CV profile
I am a professional, ambitious and highly skilled Camera Operator able to use a wide range of technical equipment, including professional cinematography camcorders. I have extensive experience working on a number of television and theatre projects, demonstrating an ability to follow artistic direction and the physical capability required on a professional production set. I am comfortable filming on-location and outside the studio with some previous work experience in live broadcasting.
- The candidate has included many examples of their previous work experience and competencies in the field. Any employer interested in hiring an experienced camera operator will most certainly be impressed and continue reading the remainder of their CV.
Healthcare CV profile
I am committed, caring and friendly Physiotherapist with a great passion for helping people of all ages. I have previous experience in supporting a variety of patients ranging from children suffering from development problems to adults and the elderly affected by and recovering from injuries and movement disorders. I have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and I enjoy working with a variety of different people. [Physiotherapist CV
- The candidate highlights that they are able to work with a variety of different people, something which is essential as physiotherapists will be working with people from all backgrounds and ages.
- The statement includes personal qualities that are important to have as a physiotherapist, such as being caring and friendly. Although some careers advisors do not recommend generic words such as ‘caring’ and ‘friendly’, it is nevertheless recommended to include them if they truly reflect your personality and if the rest of the personal statement contains specific information which is not generic in nature.
Writer CV profile
I am an articulate, confident person who relishes challenges and working under pressure. My greatest strengths are my research, communication and writing skills. Over the past seven years, more than 200 of my articles and publications have been published by leading newspapers and magazines.
- This profile is short and punchy, increasing the chances that it will be read in full by the prospective employers
- The candidate highlights their career achievements by stating that their works have been accepted and published by leading newspapers and magazines – a testimony to the high quality of their work.
Science CV profile
I am a creative and enthusiastic Pharmacologist with two years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry. I have experience in designing and carrying out experiments, testing drugs, researching scientific literature and writing technical reports. I possess excellent analytical and communications skills and a dedicated approach to working in a highly controlled working environment. I am currently looking for a challenging opportunity within the science sector.
- This statement is short and to the point; highlighting all the important information such as the candidates work experience, expertise and some personal qualities and characteristics.
Do I need to include a personal statement on my CV?
No, it is entirely optional to include a personal profile on your CV. However, it is generally recommended to include one, particularly as it serves as a little “About me” section at the top of your CV. Every written document has an introduction, why shouldn’t a CV?
Can I use the first person tense in my statement?
Yes, the first and third person tenses are both fine to use – but not both. Decide on the one tense and stick to it.
Where should I include the profile statement on my CV
There is no fixed place in which you should put your personal profile. Some candidates place it at the bottom of their CVs. Ideally, you should position it at the top of your CV.
What is the most important thing to include on a personal profile?
Real-world examples and tangible performance indicators, for example; increased sales by x percent, managed x number of people, won such-and-such awards, improved productivity by x percent, etc. These types of information are highly valuable, as opposed to saying that you are the “best salesperson in the country” and not backing it up with any evidence!
Need help with other sections of your CV?
While you’re still here – don’t forget to check out our amazing How to write a CV guide for more practical tips on writing your perfect CV or this useful resource.